Today’s History Spotlight
Hattie Caraway becomes the first female elected to the US Senate. Born on February 1 near Bakerville, Tennessee, she represented Arkansas in the Senate as a member of the Democratic Party. Caraway later won her reelection bid.
She stated to reporters, “The time has passed when a woman should be placed in a position and kept there only while someone else is being groomed for the job.”
What Happened On This Day – January 12
- 2010 An earthquake kills 316,000 in Haiti. Most of the country’s capital, Port-au-Prince, was destroyed during the disaster.
- 1991 The U.S. Congress votes for war in Iraq. President George H. W. Bush was given the authority to use military force to expel Iraq from Kuwait.
- 1969 Led Zeppelin releases their debut album. The album was imaginatively named “Led Zeppelin”.
- 1967 James Bedford is frozen with intent of future resuscitation. Bedford was the first human to be cryonically preserved; his body awaits resuscitation in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- 1908 The first long-distance radio message is broadcast from the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Scientist Lee de Forest’s broadcast was heard by an audience of 50.
Births On This Day – January 12
- 1968 Heather Mills – English model, activist
- 1917 Maharishi Mahesh Yogi – Indian guru
- 1916 P. W. Botha – South African politician, 1st State President of South Africa
- 1876 Jack London – American author
- 1729 Edmund Burke – Irish politician, philosopher
Deaths On This Day – January 12
- 2005 Amrish Puri – Indian actor
- 2003 Maurice Gibb – English singer-songwriter bass player, producer
- 1976 Agatha Christie – English author
- 1971 John Tovey, 1st Baron Tovey – English Admiral
- 1856 Ľudovít Štúr – Slovak politician, author
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
JOIN US @NewRightNetwork on our Telegram, Twitter, Facebook Page and Groups, and other social media for instant news updates!
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now