Today’s History Spotlight
Robert C. Weaver is appointed to become the first African-American cabinet member. A member of the Democratic Party, Weaver was appointed by President Lyndon B. Johnson, and served on the H.U.D. from 1966-1968.
Likewise, he also served as a member of Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, Bowery Savings Bank, NAACP, and other organizations. Weaver passed away on July 17, 1997.
What Happened On This Day – January 13
- 2012 The cruise ship Costa Concordia sinks, killing 32. The ship’s captain was later accused of imprudence, negligence, and incompetence.
- 2001 An earthquake devastates El Salvador. This quake killed nearly 1000 people; at least 315 people feel victim to a second quake on February 13, 2001.
- 2000 Bill Gates steps down as CEO of Microsoft. Gates co-founded Microsoft in 1975 together with Paul Allen.
- 1968 Johnny Cash performs live at Folsom State Prison. The album “Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison” became a huge success.
- 1915 The worst earthquake in Italian history kills 30,000. The quake hit the town of Avezzano, about 100 km (60 m) east of Rome.
Births On This Day – January 13
- 1978 Nate Silver – American journalist, statistician, developed PECOTA
- 1970 Marco Pantani – Italian cyclist
- 1969 Stephen Hendry – Scottish snooker player
- 1964 Bill Bailey – English comedian, actor, singer, guitarist
- 1887 George Gurdjieff – Armenian mystic
Deaths On This Day – January 13
- 2007 Michael Brecker – American saxophonist, composer
- 1978 Hubert Humphrey – American politician, 38th Vice President of the United States
- 1962 Ernie Kovacs – American comedian, actor
- 1941 James Joyce – Irish author
- 1929 Wyatt Earp – American police officer
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now