Today’s History Spotlight
The Casablanca Conference begins. At the Anfa Hotel in Casablanca, Morocco, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill met to discuss unconditional surrender for Axis forces, as well as procedure and policy.
Also present were Charles de Gaulle and Henri Giraud, representing Free French forces. Due to the Siege of Stalingrad by Nazi Germany, Joseph Stalin chose not to attend. Two outcomes of the conference were the decision to begin an Allied invasion of Italy and Churchill’s pledge to offer more British troops to the Pacific Theater.
What Happened On This Day – January 14
- 2005 The European Huygens space probe lands on Saturn’s moon Titan. It was the first ever landing in the outer solar system.
- 1967 The Summer of Love is launched with the Human Be-In. San Francisco was the epicenter of the Hippie Revolution, which soon influenced cultures around the world.
- 1953 Tito becomes President of Yugoslavia. The authoritarian leader became a unifying symbol in his country and is still known by many today.
- 1943 Churchill, Roosevelt and de Gaulle meet in Casablanca to discuss their WWII strategy. During the secret Casablanca Conference, the leaders agreed that the allied forces would accept nothing less than the unconditional surrender of the Axis powers.
- 1559 Elizabeth I is crowned Queen of England. “The Virgin Queen” was the daughter of Anne Boleyn and King Henry VIII.
Births On This Day – January 14
- 1969 Dave Grohl – American singer-songwriter, musician, director
- 1963 Steven Soderbergh – American director, screenwriter, producer
- 1950 Rambhadracharya – Indian religious leader
- 1875 Albert Schweitzer – Alsatian physician, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1741 Benedict Arnold – American/English general
Deaths On This Day – January 14
- 2016 Alan Rickman – English actor
- 1977 Anthony Eden – British politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- 1957 Humphrey Bogart – American actor
- 1901 Mandell Creighton – English bishop, historian
- 1898 Lewis Carroll – English author
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
JOIN US @NewRightNetwork on our Telegram, Twitter, Facebook Page and Groups, and other social media for instant news updates!
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now