Today’s History Spotlight
Alexander Hamilton is born in Charlestown, Saint Kitts and Nevis. During the American Revolution, Hamilton served under George Washington, and later, became the first Secretary of the Treasury. A member of the Federalist Party, he wrote a large portion of the Federal Papers, co-authored the US Constitution, and oversaw the establishment of the First National Bank.
On July 11, 1804, Hamilton was mortally wounded in a duel with Thomas Jefferson’s vice president, Aaron Burr. Hamilton fired above Burr’s head, while Burr shot Hamilton just above the hip. Hamilton passed away the next day. In 2015, a Broadway musical was performed, which portrays the major events in Hamilton’s life.
What Happened On This Day – January 11
- 2002 The first prisoners arrive in Guantanamo Bay. Following reports of torture, Amnesty International called the situation at the US detention camp a “human rights scandal”.
- 1985 The first Rock in Rio music festival is held. A whopping 1.5 million people attended, making it the world’s largest music festival.
- 1962 A massive landslide kills 4,000 in Peru. Nine villages in the Río Santa Valley were engulfed by a 12-meter wall of rock and ice.
- 1935 Amelia Earhart flies solo from Hawaii to the US mainland. She was the first person to achieve this feat. Her journey took her from Honolulu to Oakland, California.
- 1922 Insulin is used for the first time to treat diabetes. 14-year-old Leonard Thompson was the first person to receive the medication to combat his Type 1 diabetes.
Births On This Day – January 11
- 1979 Siti Nurhaliza – Malaysian singer-songwriter, producer
- 1973 Rahul Dravid – Indian cricketer
- 1971 Mary J. Blige – American singer-songwriter, producer, actress
- 1934 Jean Chrétien – Canadian politician, 20th Prime Minister of Canada
- 1755 Alexander Hamilton – Nevisian/American economist, politician, philosopher, 1st United States Secretary of the Treasury
Deaths On This Day – January 11
- 2014 Ariel Sharon – Israeli general, politician, 11th Prime Minister of Israel
- 2013 Nguyen Khanh – Vietnamese general, politician, 3rd President of South Vietnam
- 2013 Aaron Swartz – American computer programmer, activist
- 2008 Edmund Hillary – New Zealand mountaineer, explorer
- 1941 Emanuel Lasker – German chess player
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
New Right Network depends on your support. Donate now