This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
Alexander Hamilton is born in Charlestown, Saint Kitts and Nevis. During the American Revolution, Hamilton served under George Washington, and later, became the first Secretary of the Treasury. A member of the Federalist Party, he wrote a large portion of the Federal Papers, co-authored the US Constitution, and oversaw the establishment of the First National Bank.
On July 11, 1804, Hamilton was mortally wounded in a duel with Thomas Jefferson’s vice president, Aaron Burr. Hamilton fired above Burr’s head, while Burr shot Hamilton just above the hip. Hamilton passed away the next day. In 2015, a Broadway musical was performed, which portrays the major events in Hamilton’s life.
What Happened On This Day – January 11
- 2002 The first prisoners arrive in Guantanamo Bay. Following reports of torture, Amnesty International called the situation at the US detention camp a “human rights scandal”.
- 1985 The first Rock in Rio music festival is held. A whopping 1.5 million people attended, making it the world’s largest music festival.
- 1962 A massive landslide kills 4,000 in Peru. Nine villages in the Río Santa Valley were engulfed by a 12-meter wall of rock and ice.
- 1935 Amelia Earhart flies solo from Hawaii to the US mainland. She was the first person to achieve this feat. Her journey took her from Honolulu to Oakland, California.
- 1922 Insulin is used for the first time to treat diabetes. 14-year-old Leonard Thompson was the first person to receive the medication to combat his Type 1 diabetes.
Births On This Day – January 11
- 1979 Siti Nurhaliza – Malaysian singer-songwriter, producer
- 1973 Rahul Dravid – Indian cricketer
- 1971 Mary J. Blige – American singer-songwriter, producer, actress
- 1934 Jean Chrétien – Canadian politician, 20th Prime Minister of Canada
- 1755 Alexander Hamilton – Nevisian/American economist, politician, philosopher, 1st United States Secretary of the Treasury
Deaths On This Day – January 11
- 2014 Ariel Sharon – Israeli general, politician, 11th Prime Minister of Israel
- 2013 Nguyen Khanh – Vietnamese general, politician, 3rd President of South Vietnam
- 2013 Aaron Swartz – American computer programmer, activist
- 2008 Edmund Hillary – New Zealand mountaineer, explorer
- 1941 Emanuel Lasker – German chess player
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.