This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
The Battle of Princeton, New Jersey is fought. The previous week, George Washington and Continental forces crossed the Delaware River during the early morning hours on Christmas Operation Shingle begins. The start of the Battle of Anzio, this was an Allied amphibious operation in which American, Canadian, and British troops stormed the beaches of Italy and fought to capture Rome.
The US forces were commanded by General Mark W. Clark, one of the youngest four-star generals in the US Army during World War II. Clark had previously served in World War I, and he served in Korea following the second world war.
What Happened On This Day – January 22
- 2006 Eco Morales becomes Bolivia’s first indigenous president. The left-wing politician has focused mainly on combating poverty and curbing the influence of transnational corporations.
- 1973 The US Supreme Court legalizes abortion. The liberalization that was caused by the Roe v. Wade decision entailed fierce resistance from the Pro-Life movement, but the Supreme Court has so far upheld the decision.
- 1970 The Boeing 747 takes off on its first scheduled flight. The Pan Am jumbo jet flew from New York to London.
- 1963 The Élysée Treaty formalizes the reconciliation between Germany and France. The treaty effectively ended centuries of enmity between the two European countries.
- 1943 World record for fastest temperature change. The fastest temperature change recorded in history occurred on this day in Spearfish, South Dakota. The temperature increased from −4°F (−20°C) to +45°F (+7°C) in the span of two minutes.
Births On This Day – January 22
- 1953 Jim Jarmusch – American director
- 1909 U Thant – Burmese diplomat, 3rd United Nations Secretary General
- 1906 Robert E. Howard – American author
- 1788 Lord Byron – English poet
- 1729 Gotthold Ephraim Lessing – German author, philosopher
Deaths On This Day – January 22
- 2010 Iskandar of Johor
- 2008 Heath Ledger – Australian actor, director
- 1973 Lyndon B. Johnson – American politician, 36th President of the United States
- 1901 Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom
- 1900 David Edward Hughes – Welsh/American scientist, co-invented the microphone
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.