Today’s History Spotlight
The Battle of Khe Sanh begins. This was one of the largest battles of the Vietnam War. US, South Vietnamese, and Laotian troops fought against North Vietnamese forces, and the battle lasted until July 9 of that year.
The result was indecisive, with both sides claiming a victory.
What Happened On This Day – January 21
- 1998 Pope John Paul II visits CubaIt was the first time any Pope visited the country.
- 1976 Concorde takes off on its first scheduled flights. Two of the supersonic aircraft took off from Paris and London simultaneously.
- 1968 The Battle of Khe Sanh begins. It is one of the most publicized battles of the Vietnam War.
- 1911 23 cars take part in the first Rally Monte Carlo. Unlike today, the competitors set out from 11 different European locations, heading for the finish line in Monte Carlo.
- 1899 Opel builds its first automobile. Today, Opel is one of the world’s largest car manufacturers.
Births On This Day – January 21
- 1963 Hakeem Olajuwon – Nigerian/American basketball player
- 1941 Plácido Domingo – Spanish tenor, conductor
- 1940 Jack Nicklaus – American golfer
- 1905 Christian Dior – French fashion designer, founded S.A.
- 1824 Stonewall Jackson – American general
Deaths On This Day – January 21
- 1997 Colonel Tom Parker – Dutch/American talent manager
- 1950 George Orwell – English author
- 1938 Georges Méliès – French director
- 1924 Vladimir Lenin – Russian politician
- 1683 Anthony Ashley Cooper, 1st Earl of Shaftesbury – English politician
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
Latest posts by Garrett Smith (see all)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
Share to break through the censorship!
JOIN US @NewRightNetwork on our Telegram, Twitter, Facebook Page and Groups, and other social media for instant news updates!
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now