Today’s History Spotlight
One day after the Japanese Imperial Navy launched an attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States declared war on Japan and entered World War II.
The attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise military strike by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service upon the United States against the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii, just before 08:00, on Sunday, December 7, 1941.The United States was a neutral country at the time; the attack led to its formal entry into World War II the next day.
What Happened On This Day – December 8
- 1991 Belavezha Accords signed. The Belavezha Accords, that disbanded the USSR and replaced it with Commonwealth of Independent States was signed
- 1991 Romanian Constitution comes into force. Passed through a referendum, the Constitution marked a return to democracy for Romania after 42 years of Communist rule.
- 1991 Creation of Commonwealth of Independent States. The international organization was formed by Belarus, Ukraine, and the Russian Federation as a political forum for members of the former Soviet Union.
- 1987 First Intifada begins. The Palestinian uprising against the Israeli occupation of the Palestinian Territories began after an Israeli army truck attacked a car and killed 4 Palestinians. The Intifada ended in 1991 after the Madrid Conference.
- 1941 U.S. enters WWII. One day after the Japanese Imperial Navy launched an attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States declared war on Japan and entered World War II.
Births On This Day – December 8
- 1982 Nicki Minaj – Trinidadian/American rapper, actress
- 1961 Ann Coulter – American lawyer, author
- 1953 Norman Finkelstein – American academic, author, activist
- 1943 Jim Morrison – American singer-songwriter, poet
- 1542 Mary, Queen of Scots
Deaths On This Day – December 8
- 2004 Dimebag Darrell – American guitarist, songwriter
- 1980 John Lennon – English singer-songwriter, musician, producer
- 1978 Golda Meir – Israeli educator, politician, 4th Prime Minister of Israel
- 1903 Herbert Spencer – English biologist, anthropologist, sociologist, philosopher
- 1864 George Boole – English mathematician, philosopher
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
Patriot911News depends on the support of readers like you. Donate now
Lucas Collins is a writer for NRN. He strives to write timely, thought-provoking articles.