This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
The Tehran Conference begins. This followed the Anglo-Soviet Invasion of Iran, which resulted in an Allied victory and opened Soviet access to the Persian Gulf. This was also the first of the World War II conferences in which the “Big Three” leaders – Franklin D. Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, and Joseph Stalin – met to discuss strategy.
While each member came to the meeting to discuss their own goals, a mutual interest was the decision to open a second front against Nazi Germany by June of the following year. The conference ended three days later.
What Happened On This Day – November 28
- 1991 South Ossetia declares independence. The disputed region of the country of Georgia calls itself the Republic of South Ossetia. The declaration of independence was not recognized by Georgia and was followed by the South Ossetia War. Only a few countries, including Russia and Venezuela, recognize it as a sovereign country.
- 1975 East Timor independence. East Timor declared its independence from Portugal
- 1967 First pulsar observed. Graduate student Jocelyn Bell and her advisor Antony Hewish at Cambridge University were the first people to observe and discover pulsars. Pulsars are rapidly spinning neutron magnetized stars that emit radiation.
- 1964 NASA launches Mariner 4. The first spacecraft to make a flyby of Mars, the spacecraft was the first one to send images of a planet back to Earth.
- 1943 Tehran Conference begins. The Tehran Conference between the US, the UK and the Soviet Union began at the Soviet Embassy in Tehran. The conference dealt with the Axis powers in Europe and Asia and made plans to open up a second front against the Germans in France during WW II.
Births On This Day – November 28
- 1962 Jon Stewart – American comedian, actor, television host
- 1820 Friedrich Engels – German philosopher
- 1628 John Bunyan – English preacher, author
- 1489 Margaret Tudor – English wife of James IV of Scotland
- 1118 Manuel I Komnenos – Byzantine Emperor
Deaths On This Day – November 28
- 2010 Leslie Nielsen – Canadian/American actor
- 1968 Enid Blyton – English author
- 1954 Enrico Ferm – IItalian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1859 Washington Irving – American historian, author
- 1680 Gian Lorenzo Bernin – IItalian sculptor, painter
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.