Today’s History Spotlight
The Sand Creek Massacre occurs. Under the orders of Colonel John Chivington, Union troops in eastern Colorado surrounded and attacked Cheyenne and Arapaho noncombatants. Some reports suggest that as many as 600 Natives were killed. Most casualties were women and children, and a few soldiers reported witnessing horrible bodily mutilations.
One of Chivington’s soldiers, Silas Soule, said this during his congressional testimony: “I saw the bodies of those lying there cut all to pieces, worse mutilated than any I ever saw before; the women cut all to pieces…their brains knocked out; children two or three months old; all ages laying there, from sucking infants up to warriors.” On November 7, 2000, the massacre location was designated a National Historic Site, and on September 28, 2001, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
What Happened On This Day – November 29
- 1972 Atari Releases Pong. One of the very first arcade games to hit the market, Pong was a 1 or 2 player video game similar to tennis, where the goal is to use a paddle to hit a ball. Around 35000 Pong consoles were sold around the world.
- 1951 Silent Coup in Thailand. The Thai military took over the country’s governance and reinstated the 1932 Constitution.
- 1929 First flight over the South Pole. American explorer Richard Byrd became the first person to fly over the South Pole. The flight took just over 18 hours. 3 years ago, Byrd flew over the North Pole, though there is some debate whether he actually accomplished the feat.
- 1899 FC Barcelona founded. The popular football (soccer) club was founded by footballer Hans Gamper. Informally known as Barça, the club is thought to be one of the top 5 richest football clubs in the world. The club has won 4 European Cups (1978-79, 1981-82, 1988-89, 1996-97) and is a 5 time Champions League winner (1991-92, 2005-06, 2008-09, 2010-11, 2014-15).
- 1777 City of San Jose Founded. The first city to be settled in California, San Jose was founded as San José de Guadalupe. Before the Spanish settled in the city, the area was inhabitated by the Ohlone people. San Jose was the first capital of the state of California, which was established in 1850.
Births On This Day – November 29
- 1969 Mariano Rivera – Panamanian baseball player
- 1964 Don Cheadle – American actor, producer
- 1932 Jacques Chirac – French politician, 22nd President of France
- 1898 C. S. Lewis – Irish author, poet
- 1835 Empress Dowager Cixi – of China
Deaths On This Day – November 29
- 2001 George Harrison – English singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer
- 1975 Graham Hill – English race car driver
- 1780 Maria Theresa – Austrian wife of Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor
- 1682 Prince Rupert of the Rhine
- 1632 Frederick V, Elector Palatine – Bohemian king
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now