Today’s History Spotlight
The launch of the satellite from Hammaguir, Algeria made France the 6th country in the world after the US, the USSR, the UK, Canada, and Italy to have an artificial satellite in orbit.
The satellite is named after the Asterix the popular comic character created by French writer René Goscinny.
What Happened On This Day – November 26
- 2003 Concorde retired from serviceConcorde retired from service after 27 years of flight
- 1983 Brink’s Mat gold heistThe £ 26 million robbery took place in a Brink Mat warehouse at Heathrow Airport in London. The stolen gold, diamonds and cash has never been recovered.
- 1966 World’s first tidal power station opens in FranceThe Rance Tidal Power Station on the Rance River in Brittany, France was inaugurated by French president Charles de Gaulle. Today, it is one of the largest tidal power stations in the world.
- 1965 France launches AstérixThe launch of the satellite from Hammaguir, Algeria made France the 6th country in the world after the US, the USSR, the UK, Canada, and Italy to have an artificial satellite in orbit. The satellite is named after the Asterix the popular comic character created by French writer René Goscinny.
- 1942 Casablanca premiersThe classic movie starring Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart won 3 Oscars – Best Picture, Director and Adapted Screenplay. The film, which is set during the Second World War, follows the life of Rick Blaine, a former freedom fighter and a club owner in Casablanca, Morocco, who has to choose between his love for a woman, Ilsa Lund, and saving her husband from the Nazis.
Births On This Day November 26
- 1972 Arjun RampalIndian actor
- 1939 Tina TurnerAmerican singer, dancer, actress
- 1922 Charles M. SchulzAmerican cartoonist
- 1876 Ibn SaudSaudi Arabian king
- 1827 Ellen G. WhiteAmerican author, co-founder of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church
Deaths On This Day November 26
- 1952 Sven Hedin – Swedish geographer, explorer
- 1943 Edward O’Hare – American pilot, Medal of Honor recipient
- 1883 Sojourner Truth – American activist
- 1855 Adam Mickiewicz – Polish poet
- 1504 Isabella I of Castile
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now