Republican leader Kevin McCarthy is inching closer to the speaker of the House position after 14 Republicans changed their votes in his favor on Friday.
- Scott Perry of Pennsylvania
- Ralph Norman of South Carolina
- Andrew Clyde of Georgia
- Dan Bishop of North Carolina
- Anna Paulina Luna of Florida
- Chip Roy of Texas
- Victoria Spartz of Indiana
- Byron Donalds of Florida
- Josh Brecheen of Oklahoma
- Keith Self of Texas
- Michael Cloud of Texas
- Mary Miller of Illinois
- Andy Ogles of Tennessee
- Paul Gosar of Arizona
A total of 218 votes is required to win the speakership.
Rep. James Clyburn, R-S.C., nominated Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., while Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., nominated Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio and Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., nominated Rep. Kevin Hern, R-Mo.
Final vote count:
- McCarthy – 213 votes
- Jeffries – 211 votes
- Hern – 3 votes
- Jordan – 4 votes
This is a breaking news story and may be updated.
Have an opinion about this article? To sound off, please email letters@DailySignal.com and we’ll consider publishing your edited remarks in our regular “We Hear You” feature. Remember to include the url or headline of the article plus your name and town and/or state.
The post 14 Republicans Switch Votes In Favor of Rep. Kevin McCarthy appeared first on The Daily Signal.
- Rap is Crap - January 31, 2023
- EXCLUSIVE: Lessons in Preferred Pronouns Should Start in Pre-K, Largest Teachers Union Says - January 31, 2023
- Biden’s New Border Admission Policy Allows Haitian, Cuban Migrants To Receive Receive An Array Of Public Benefits - January 31, 2023
New Right Network depends on your support. Donate now