This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
In 1971, the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations became the world’s first electronic stock exchange. American stock exchange based in New York City. It is ranked second on the list of stock exchanges by market capitalization of shares traded, behind the New York Stock Exchange.
The exchange platform is owned by Nasdaq, Inc., which also owns the Nasdaq Nordic stock market network and several US-based stock and options exchanges.
What Happened On This Day – February 8
- 1960 The first 8 stars are added to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. More than 2400 five-pointed stars have since been embedded in the sidewalks of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street to honor stars of the entertainment industry.
- 1950 The Stasi, East Germany’s notorious secret police, is established. The “Staatssicherheit”, which was dissolved in 1990, is considered one of the most repressive intelligence agencies in the world.
- 1910 The Boy Scouts of America is founded. Three years earlier, British General Robert Baden-Powell had founded the Scout movement in England.
- 1879 Sandford Fleming proposes the use of time zones. The later introduction of Universal Standard Time, which is based on time zones, revolutionized time keeping.
Births On This Day – February 8
- 1941 Nick Nolte – American actor
- 1932 John Williams – American pianist, composer, conductor
- 1931 James Dean – American actor
- 1925 Jack Lemmon – American actor, singer, director
- 1828 Jules Verne – French author
Deaths On This Day – February 8
- 2007 Ian Stevenson – American biochemist
- 2007 Anna Nicole Smith – American model, actress
- 1998 Enoch Powell – British politician
- 1957 John von Neumann – Hungarian/American mathematician
- 1587 Mary, Queen of Scots
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
Lucas Collins is a writer for NRN. He strives to write timely, thought-provoking articles.