This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
Rosa Parks is born in Tuskegee, Alabama. Sometimes referred to as “The First Lady of Civil Rights,” Parks became well-known following her stand against racial injustice in Montgomery, Alabama in 1955. When three White men boarded a bus, they found no room to sit, and moved the “White” section to the seat where Parks was sitting.
When Parks refused to move, she was arrested. This sparked the Montgomery Bus Boycotts, which lead to other civil rights movements. Parks went on to fight racism across the country alongside Martin Luther King Jr. and other heroes of the Civil Rights Movement. Parks passed away on October 24, 2005. She was the first woman in American history to lay in honor in the Capitol Rotunda.
What Happened On This Day – February 4
- 2004 Facebook is founded. The social networking service currently has over 1 billion active users.
- 1948 Ceylon (Sri Lanka) proclaims independence within the British Commonwealth. Since the 16th century, the island had been colonized by Portugal, the Netherlands, and Great Britain.
- 1861 The Confederate States of America are established. Six slave states met in Montgomery, Alabama to form the Confederacy, which lasted only until 1865.
- 1859 German archeologist Constantin von Tischendorf discovers the Codex Sinaiticus. The “Sinai Bible”, a handwritten copy of the Greek Bible, is considered a great historical treasure.
- 1789 George Washington is elected as first President of the United States. Washington took office on April 30, 1789.
Births On This Day – February 4
- 1948 Alice Cooper – American singer-songwriter, actor
- 1913 Rosa Parks – American activist
- 1906 Dietrich Bonhoeffer – German pastor, theologian
- 1902 Charles Lindbergh – American pilot, activist
- 1746 Tadeusz Kościuszko – Polish/American general
Deaths On This Day – February 4
- 2006 Betty Friedan – American author, activist
- 2001 Iannis Xenakis – Greek/French composer, engineer, theorist
- 1987 Liberace – American singer, pianist, actor
- 1987 Meena Keshwar Kamal – Afghan activist, founded the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanista
- 1894 Adolphe Sax – Belgian musician, invented the saxophone
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.