This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre occurs in Chicago, Illinois. Following a bitter rival between the Irish North Side Gang, lead by Bugs Moran, and the Italian South Side Gang, lead by Al Capone, seven of Moran’s men were lined up at Lincoln Park Garage. Dressed as police officers and armed with Thompson submachine guns and shotguns, the four perpetrators killed all seven men.
The perpetrators were never identified, but former members of Eagan’s Rats working for Capone were the primary suspects. This has become the most infamous mob hit in American history and has been the product of various movies and books.
What Happened On This Day – February 14
- 2005 Former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri is assassinated. Several sources reported that the U.N. Special Tribunal for Lebanon found compelling evidence for the Lebanese militia Hezbollah’s involvement.
- 2003 Dolly the sheep is put to death. Dolly, the first mammal to be cloned from an adult, had shown signs of premature aging and contracted various diseases.
- 1989 Union Carbide finally agrees to pay damages to the Indian government for the Bophal disaster. The company had a yearly turnover of 9.5 billion USD at the time; up to 25,000 people had died in the tragedy.
- 1949 The Knesset, the parliament of Israel, convenes for the first time. The term “Knesset” is derived from the Hebrew name of an ancient Great Assembly: Anshei Knesset HaGedolah.
- 1876 The telephone is patented. Both Alexander Graham Bell and Elisha Gray applied for a patent on that day – Bell won.
Births On This Day – February 14
- 1951 Kevin Keegan – English footballer
- 1943 Maceo Parker – American saxophonist
- 1942 Michael Bloomberg – American businessman, politician, 108th Mayor of New York City
- 1894 Jack Benny – American actor, comedian
- 1818 Frederick Douglass – American author, activist
Deaths On This Day – February 14
- 1975 P. G. Wodehouse – English author
- 1975 Julian Huxley – English biologist
- 1779 James Cook – English navy officer, explorer, cartographer
- 1229 Ragnvald Godredsson – Manx king
- 269 Saint Valentine – Roman bishop, martyr
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.