This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
The Nashville Sit-Ins begin. A response to the sit-ins from Greensboro, North Carolina, these were lead by the Nashville Student Movement and the Nashville Christian Leadership Council. These sit-ins targeted various segregated businesses in Nashville, Tennessee, such as Woolworth, Walgreens, and many others.
The participants included James Lawson, Kelly Miller Smith, and C.T. Vivian, among others. These sit-ins ended on May 10, 1960, though other sit-ins would continue across the south in response to segregation.
What Happened On This Day – February 13
- 2008 Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologizes to Indigenous Australians for the “stolen generations”. Between 10 and 30 percent of Aboriginal and Torres Islander children were removed from their families until the 1960s.
- 2004 The universe’s largest known diamond is discovered. BPM 37093 is a white dwarf star about 50 light-years from Earth and was nicknamed “Lucy” after The Beatles’ song “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”.
- 2000 The last “Peanuts” comic strip is published. The 17,897th-and-last installment was published in newspapers around the world on the day following the death of its creator, Charles M. Schulz.
- 1991 Two “smart bombs” kill at least 408 civilians in Baghdad. The Amiriyah shelter bombing was one of the worst cases of civilian killings during “Operation Desert Storm”.
- 1945 The German city of Dresden is destroyed by a bombing raid. According to estimates, up to 25,000 people were killed in the raids that lasted 3 days.
Births On This Day – February 13
- 1974 Robbie Williams – English singer-songwriter, producer, actor
- 1950 Peter Gabriel – English singer-songwriter, producer
- 1946 Richard Blumenthal – American politician
- 1849 Lord Randolph Churchill – English politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer
- 1835 Mirza Ghulam Ahmad – Indian religious leader, founded the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community
Deaths On This Day – February 13
- 2002 Waylon Jennings – American singer-songwriter, musician
- 1883 Richard Wagner – German composer, director
- 1787 Ruđer Bošković – Croatian physicist, astronomer, mathematician
- 1728 Cotton Mather – American minister
- 1662 Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.