Today’s History Spotlight
The Treaty of Paris ends the French and Indian War. Known outside of the American Colonies as the Seven Years’ War, this was one of the largest conflicts of the 18th century. In America, the war was fought from 1754-1763, starting with the Battle of Jumonville Glen in present-day Pennsylvania.
It was here that George Washington began his rise to prominence. The end result of the conflict was the expulsion of French forces and the expansion of the British Empire. The war inadvertently lead to the American Revolution, due to British Parliament enacting various taxes in an effort to pay for the war with France.
What Happened On This Day – February 10
- 2009 Two satellites collide in space. Both the US satellite “Iridium 33” and the Russian “Kosmos 2251” were destroyed in the accident.
- 1996 Deep Blue becomes the first computer to win a chess game against a reigning world champion. Despite his defeat in the first game, Russian world champion Garry Kasparov proceeded to win the match by 4-2 games.
- 1964 Bob Dylan’s album “The Times They Are A-Changin’” is released. The title track is one of Dylan’s best-known songs.
- 1964 An aircraft carrier collides with a destroyer in Australia, killing 82. Destroyer HMAS Voyager sailed under aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourn’s bow, was cut in half and sank.
- 1962 Francis Gary Powers, a US spy captured by the Soviet Union, is released. Powers was exchanged for captured Soviet spy, Rudolf Ivanovich Abel.
Births On This Day – February 10
- 1929 Jerry Goldsmith – American composer, conductor
- 1898 Bertolt Brecht – German author
- 1894 Harold Macmillan – English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- 1890 Boris Pasternak – Russian author, poet, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1744 William Cornwallis – English Admiral
Deaths On This Day – February 10
- 2005 Arthur Miller – American playwright
- 1932 Edgar Wallace – English journalist, author, playwright
- 1923 Wilhelm Röntgen – German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1837 Alexander Pushkin – Russian author, poet
- 1755 Montesquieu – French philosopher
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
New Right Network depends on your support. Donate now