This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
In a TV statement, Bill Clinton denies having had “sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky”. On August 17, 1998, Clinton admitted to having had an “improper physical relationship” with Monica Lewinsky.
“I want you to listen to me. I’m going to say this again: I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people. Thank you.” — Bill Clinton
What Happened On This Day – January 26
- 2001 A massive earthquake hits Gujarat, India. About 20,000 people died and over 160,000 people were injured.
- 1950 India becomes a republic. The Constitution of India came into effect that day.
- 1905 The world’s largest diamond is found in South Africa. The Cullinan Diamond weighed 3106.75 carats (621.35 g or 1.37 lb) and has an estimated value of 2 billion USD.
- 1788 The first Europeans settle in Australia. The first elements of the British “First Fleet” had arrived in Sydney Harbour on January 18.
Births On This Day – January 26
- 1961 Wayne Gretzky – Canadian ice hockey player, coach
- 1958 Ellen DeGeneres – American comedian, actress, talk show host
- 1955 Eddie Van Halen – Dutch/American guitarist, songwriter, producer
- 1925 Paul Newman – American actor, director, race car driver, businessman, co-founded Newman’s Own
- 1918 Nicolae Ceaușescu – Romanian politician, 11th President of Romania
Deaths On This Day – January 26
- 1992 José Ferrer – Puerto Rican actor
- 1979 Nelson Rockefeller – American politician, 41st Vice President of the United States
- 1962 Lucky Luciano – Italian/American mobster
- 1952 Khorloogiin Choibalsan – Mongolian military officer, ruler
- 1948 John Lomax – American musicologist
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
Lucas Collins is a writer for NRN. He strives to write timely, thought-provoking articles.