This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
The Malta Conference concludes. This meeting, held between President George H. W. Bush and Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, lasted two days. Both Bush and Gorbachev declared that the Cold War was coming to an end, with Gorbachev stating, “I have assured the President of the United States that I will never start a hot war against the USA.”
The conference was regarded as one of the most important since 1945, when Franklin D. Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, and Joseph Stalin met to discuss post-World War II plans.
What Happened On This Day – December 3
- 1984 Bhopal Gas Disaster. A gas leak from a Union Carbide India Limited pesticide plant in the city of Bhopal, India killed over 2000 people and affected thousands of others. It is said to be the world’s worst industrial disaster.
- 1970 Ayatollah Khomeini takes office. The Iranian religious leader was a leader of the 1979 Iranian Revolution.
- 1927 First Laurel & Hardy movie released. Putting Pants on Philip, a short silent film starring the comedy duo marked the beginning of a long partnership.
- 1910 First public demonstration of neon lights. Seen in most urban settings and cities today, the neon light was invented by French inventor and engineer, Georges Claude. They were first displayed at the Paris Motor Show.
- 1818 Illinois joins the Union. The midwestern state became the 21st state to be part of the United State. 3 U.S. presidents call it their home state.
Births On This Day – December 3
- 1985 Amanda Seyfried – American actress, singer
- 1981 David Villa – Spanish footballer
- 1895 Anna Freud – Austrian/English psychoanalyst
- 1857 Joseph Conrad – Polish/English author
- 1826 George B. McClellan – American general, politician, 24th Governor of New Jersey
Deaths On This Day – December 3
- 1939 Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll
- 1928 Ezra Meeker – American businessman
- 1910 Mary Baker Eddy – American writer, founder of Christian Science
- 1894 Robert Louis Stevenson – Scottish author, poet
- 311 Diocletian – Roman Emperor
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.