Today’s History Spotlight
Pennsylvania was the first of the larger states to vote to ratify the document. It was the second state to ratify the United States Constitution, on December 12, 1787.
Independence Hall, where the United States Declaration of Independence and United States Constitution were drafted, is located in Philadelphia, the state’s largest city.
What Happened On This Day – December 12
- 2009 Houston, Texas elects Annise Parker. The City of Houston becomes the most populous city in the United States to have an openly gay mayor.
- 1969 Piazza Fontana bombing. A bomb exploded at the building of the National Agrarian Bank, Milan, Italy, killing 17 people and injuring 88.
- 1963 Kenyan independence. Kenya declared its independence from the UK.
Births On This Day – December 12
- 1950 Rajinikanth – Indian actor, screenwriter, producer
- 1923 Bob Barker – American game show host
- 1915 Frank Sinatra – American singer, actor
- 1881 Harry Warner – Polish/American businessman, co-founded Warner Bros.
- 1863 Edvard Munch – Norwegian painter
Deaths On This Day – December 12
- 2007 Ike Turner – American singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer
- 1999 Joseph Heller – American author, playwright
- 1985 Anne Baxter – American actress
- 1968 Tallulah Bankhead – American actress
- 1889 Robert Browning – English poet
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now