Donald Trump Blog Page Shut Down For Good
Posted On June 2, 2021
This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
From Conservative Brief:
The website of Donald Trump, which was started recently, has been closed for good.
The news came on Wednesday when visitors to his “From the Desk of Donald J. Trump” blog were greeted with a page to join his email and text alerts, CNBC reported.
It “will not be returning,” his senior aide Jason Miller, said.
“It was just auxiliary to the broader efforts we have and are working on,” he said. “Hoping to have more information on the broader efforts soon, but I do not have a precise awareness of timing.”
Trump has been banned from Facebook and Twitter and has hinted at starting a new social media website.
When “From The Desk Of” started, Miller said it was not the new social media site and that there would be more information on that coming at another time.
“President Trump’s website is a great resource to find his latest statements and highlights from his first term in office, but this is not a new social media platform. We’ll have additional information coming on that front in the very near future,” he said on Twitter.
The 45th President of the United States, who was banned from Twitter for life, and still have a ban from Facebook in effect, is planning to launch his own social media platform to coincide with the Fourth of July celebrations, The Daily Mail reported.
The July 4 date is only tentative, and it could change but that is said to be the current target.
“These things have a habit of slipping but wouldn’t that be a symbolic date to get back online,” a former Trump administration official said.
Last month Facebook announced that it was upholding his ban for a minimum for six months.
“The Board has upheld Facebook’s decision on January 7 to suspend then-President Trump from Facebook and Instagram. Trump’s posts during the Capitol riot severely violated Facebook’s rules and encouraged and legitimized violence,” the board said in announcing its decision.
“The Board also found Facebook violated its own rules by imposing a suspension that was ‘indefinite.’ This penalty is not described in Facebook’s content policies. It has no clear criteria and gives Facebook total discretion on when to impose or lift it,” it said.
“Within 6 months of today, Facebook must review this matter and decide a new penalty that reflects its rules, the severity of the violation, and prospect of future harm. Facebook can either impose a time-limited suspension or account deletion,” the board said.
“Facebook cannot make up the rules as it goes, and anyone concerned about its power should be concerned about allowing this. Having clear rules that apply to all users and Facebook is essential for ensuring the company treats users fairly. This is what the Board stands for.
“We call on Facebook to ensure that if a head of state or high government official repeatedly posts messages that pose a risk of harm under international human rights norms, the company should either suspend the account for a set period or delete it.
“If Facebook opts for a suspension for a set period of time for influential users, the company should assess the risk of the user inciting significant harm before the suspension ends. If the risk remains, Facebook should impose another suspension,” it said.
“The ‘newsworthiness’ of a public figure’s remarks should never take priority over urgent action to prevent harm. Facebook must be far more transparent about how its newsworthiness policy works.
“Restrictions on speech are often imposed by powerful state actors against dissidents and political oppositions. Facebook must resist pressure from governments to silence political opposition, and stand up for free expression.
“Finally, we urged Facebook to conduct a review into its contribution to the narrative of electoral fraud and political tensions that led to the events of January 6. This should look at Facebook’s design and policy choices that may allow its platform to be abused,” it said.
Lucas Collins is a writer for NRN. He strives to write timely, thought-provoking articles.