Today’s History Spotlight
The Battle of Princeton, American and Filipino soldiers recapture Manila, Philippines. This month-long battle resulted in the deaths of over 100,000 civilians and featured some of the most brutal fighting in the Pacific Theater during World War II. In 1942, the Philippines fell to Japanese forces, resulting in a temporary Japanese occupation of the area and the devastating Bataan Death March.
On the march, over 60,000 American and Filipino soldiers were killed under horrible physical conditions. Following the recapture of Manila, General Douglas MacArthur returned to the region to supervise reconstruction.
What Happened On This Day – March 3
- 1991 Footage of Los Angeles police officers severely beating Rodney King causes a global outcry. The acquittal of the police officers involved sparked the Los Angeles riots in 1992.
- 1985 The U.K. miners’ strike ends. The year-long dispute was the country’s longest-running industrial dispute and a defining issue of Margaret Thatcher’s Conservative government.
- 1974 All 345 people on board a Turkish Airlines jet die as it plunges to the ground near Paris, France. The crash of the DC-10 aircraft has the 4th highest death toll of any aviation accident in history.
- 1938 The world’s fastest steam locomotive is built. The Mallard could reach a speed of over 100 miles per hour (160 km/h).
- 1924 The last remnant of the Ottoman empire in Turkey is abolished. The end of the Islamic caliphate marked the demise of the 600-year old empire and gave way to the formation of a reformed Turkey under Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.
Births On This Day – March 3
- 1981 Julius Malema – South African politician
- 1977 Ronan Keating – Irish singer-songwriter, actor
- 1869 Henry Wood – English conductor
- 1847 Alexander Graham Bell – Scottish/American engineer, invented the Telephone
- 1845 Georg Cantor – German mathematician
Deaths On This Day – March 3
- 1987 Danny Kaye – American actor
- 1983 Hergé – Belgian illustrator
- 1707 Aurangzeb – Mughal Emperor
- 1706 Johann Pachelbel – German composer
- 1703 Robert Hooke – English scientist
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
New Right Network depends on your support. Donate now