Today’s History Spotlight
The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is signed, ending the Mexican-American War. On behalf of the United States, Nicholas Trist acted as negotiator, while Jose Bernardo Couto, Miguel de Atristain, and Luis Gonzaga Cueves negotiated on behalf of Mexico.
The result of the treaty was the acquisition of a large portion of the American West by the US, reducing Mexico to the territory below the Rio Grande. The area gained by the US later included the states of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and California. As another result of the treaty, the US also retired Mexico’s debt.
What Happened On This Day – March 10
- 2000 The dotcom bubble bursts when the NASDAQ Composite stock market index peaks at 5408.60. The dotcom boom, which started in 1997, accompanied the advent of countless new Internet-based companies. When the speculative bubble burst, many small investors were affected.
- 1959 A revolt erupts in Lhasa, sparking the Tibetan uprising. Fearing the Dalai Lama’s abduction by China, 300,000 Tibetans surrounded his palace.
- 1952 Fulgencio Batista assumes power in Cuba after a coup. The dictator was overthrown by rebels under the command of Che Guevara in 1959.
- 1945 The most destructive bombing raid in history hits Tokyo. About 100,000 Tokyo citizens died in the fires caused by the U.S. airforce’s incendiary bombs.
- 1876 The first telephone call is made. Alexander Graham Bell transmitted the words “Mr. Watson, come here — I want to see you” to his assistant, Thomas A. Watson, who was in the next-door room.
Births On This Day – March 10
- 1958 Sharon Stone – American actress, producer
- 1957 Osama bin Laden – Saudi Arabian terrorist, founded al-Qaeda
- 1952 Morgan Tsvangirai – Zimbabwean politician, 2nd Prime Minister of Zimbabwe
- 1940 Chuck Norris – American actor, martial artist
- 1903 Bix Beiderbecke – American pianist, composer
Deaths On This Day – March 10
- 2012 Jean Giraud – French author, illustrator
- 1992 Giorgos Zampetas – Greek bouzouki player, songwriter
- 1988 Andy Gibb – English/Australian singer
- 1948 Zelda Fitzgerald – American author
- 1913 Harriet Tubman – American nurse, activist
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
JOIN US @NewRightNetwork on our Telegram, Twitter, Facebook Page and Groups, and other social media for instant news updates!
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now