This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge begins. Located in San Francisco, California, it is considered one of the wonders of the modern world. Designed by Irving Morrow, the bridge is an American icon and is recognized worldwide. Construction was completed on April 19, 1937.
At the time of its completion, it was the tallest bridge in the world. In 1987, it was designated a California Historical Landmark, and in 1999, it became a San Francisco designated landmark.
What Happened On This Day – January 5
- 2005 The solar system’s largest known dwarf planet is discovered. The discovery of “Eris” ultimately lead to the International Astronomical Union (IAU) downgrading Pluto, which has roughly the same size, to a dwarf planet.
- 1993 The oil tanker MV Braer runs aground on the coast of the Shetland Islands. The oil tanker spilled twice as much crude oil as the Exxon Valdez in 1989.
- 1968 The Prague Spring begins. The period of political liberalization in Czechoslovakia began with the election of Alexander Dubček as the country’s leader.
- 1895 Alfred Dreyfus is sentenced to life imprisonment. The French artillery officer was accused of treason. He was later exonerated.
Births On This Day – January 5
- 1969 Marilyn Manson – American singer-songwriter, actor, director
- 1932 Umberto Eco – Italian philosopher, author
- 1928 Zulfikar Ali Bhutto – Pakistani politician, 4th President of Pakistan
- 1876 Konrad Adenauer – German politician, Chancellor of West Germany
- 1779 Stephen Decatur – American navy officer
Deaths On This Day – January 5
- 2016 Pierre Boulez – French pianist, composer, conductor
- 1970 Max Born – German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1933 Calvin Coolidge – American politician, 30th President of the United States
- 1922 Ernest Shackleton – Irish explorer
- 1589 Catherine de’ Medici – Italian/French wife of Henry II of France
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
Garrett Smith is a writer for NRN and recent graduate from Western Carolina University. He is a history major with a minor in political science. As a Conservative, Smith believes that the Left has taken over America's education system, which means they now control its history. To make their fellow Americans feel guilty, they often invoke a feeling of "American Shame" in students, indoctrinating them with radical, un-American ideas. It is Smith's goal to teach Americans the true history of America, and along with this, use its history to explain what makes us great.