Today’s History Spotlight
Franklin D. Roosevelt is born in Hyde Park, New York. The fifth cousin of Theodore Roosevelt and most commonly referred to as FDR, he originally served as a member of the New York State Senate from 1911-1913, before serving as Assistant Secretary of the Navy from 1913-1920. He then served as Governor of New York from 1929-1932. A member of the Democratic Party, Roosevelt was elected to the presidency during the Great Depression and remained president until World War II was near its end.
His term lasted from 1933-1945, during which time he enacted a series of social programs, collectively called the “New Deal.” Some of these programs consisted of large amounts of government spending in an attempt to reinvigorate the economy. He served the longest term of any US president and passed away on April 12, 1945. FDR’s cousin, Theodore Roosevelt, served as President from 1901-1909. His wife, Eleanor Roosevelt, served as Chair of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights from 1947-1953. FDR remains a favorite among Progressives.
What Happened On This Day – January 30
- 1982 The first computer virus is released “into the wild.” Elk Cloner was created by 15-year-old Richard Skrenta as a practical joke.
- 1972 On “Bloody Sunday”, British troops kill 13 unarmed protesters. It was one of the most significant events of the Northern Ireland conflict.
- 1969 The Beatles give their last public performance. The concert was played on the rooftop of the Apple Corps building at 3 Savile Row in London.
- 1945 9,400 people die in the deadliest maritime disaster in history. The “Wilhelm Gustloff” was sunk by a Soviet submarine during World War II.
- 1933 Adolf Hitler becomes Chancellor of Germany. The “Machtergreifung” marked the end of the Weimar Republic and the beginning of the “Third Reich”.
Births On This Day – January 30
- 1951 Phil Collins – English singer-songwriter, producer, actor
- 1941 Dick Cheney – American politician, 46th Vice President of the United States
- 1937 Vanessa Redgrave – English actress
- 1882 Franklin D. Roosevelt – American politician, 32nd President of the United States
- 1852 Ion Luca Caragiale – Romanian playwright, poet
Deaths On This Day – January 30
- 2001 Johnnie Johnson – English pilot
- 1963 Francis Poulenc – French composer
- 1951 Ferdinand Porsche – Austrian/German engineer, businessman, founded Porsche
- 1948 Orville Wright – American aviation pioneer
- 1649 Charles I of England
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
New Right Network depends on your support. Donate now