Today’s History Spotlight
The Battle of Princeton, New Jersey is fought. The previous week, George Washington and Continental forces crossed the Delaware River during the early morning hours on Christmas Day.
They then secured a victory at Trenton, capturing roughly 900 Hessian mercenaries. At Princeton, the Continental Army attacked the British forces of Charles Mawhood and Charles Cornwallis, winning a victory and boosting American morale.
What Happened On This Day – January 3
- 1994 Millions of people from the former Apartheid Homelands gain South African citizenship. The apartheid regime had stripped the black inhabitants of the right to citizenship to ensure a white majority of the de jure population.
- 1993 The second Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START II) is signed. The USA and Russia agreed to reduce the number of nuclear warheads by about 3,000.
- 1961 The United States breaks diplomatic relations with Cuba. In April 1961, the US government launched an unsuccessful attempt to overthrow the Cuban government by invading the country at the bay of pigs.
- 1959 Alaska becomes the 49th US state. The territory had been bought from Russia in 1867 for a mere $7.2 million.
- 1957 The first electric watch is available. The Hamilton Electric 500 came in “modern” asymmetrical designs to reflect the revolutionary technology.
Births On This Day – January 3
- 1969 Michael Schumacher – German race car driver
- 1956 Mel Gibson – American/Australian actor, director, producer, screenwriter
- 1901 Ngo Dinh Diem – South Vietnamese politician, 1st President of the Republic of Vietnam
- 1892 J. R. R. Tolkien – English philologist, author
- 1883 Clement Attlee – English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Deaths On This Day – January 3
- 2010 Mary Daly – American philosopher, theologian
- 2005 Will Eisner – American illustrator
- 2003 Sid Gillman – American football player
- 1967 Jack Ruby – American murderer
- 1946 William Joyce – American/English politician, broadcaster
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now