Today’s History Spotlight
I wanted to personally take this time to wish you all a Merry Christmas! Let us never forget the true meaning behind this day: the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, in a small Israeli town called Bethlehem. My favorite passage regarding this is as follows:
“And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them; and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, ’Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.’ And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.’” – Luke 2: 8-14
What Happened On This Day – December 25
- 1989 Romanian President Nicolae Ceaușescu and wife Elena were executed. The communist leader and his wife were deposed after a revolution. Their trial lasted for about an hour and then they were summarily executed by a firing squad.
- 1979 USSR invades Afghanistan. The airlift of Soviet troops into Afghanistan started a 9 year long war. The anti-Soviet insurgents, the mujahideen, received support from the United States and other western allies.
- 1926 Hirohito becomes the 124th emperor of Japan. Michinomiya Hirohito, known as Emporor Shōwa after his death, becomes the 124th emperor of Japan after the death of his father, Emperor Yoshihito. Hirohito was the Emperor of Japan for 62 years, making him the longest reigning Emperor of Japan.
- 1809 First abdominal surgery performed. American physician Ephraim McDowell became the first person in recorded history to successfully remove an ovarian tumor. He is known as the father of ovariotomy and abdominal surgery. The procedure took about 30 minutes and was performed without any anesthesia.
- 1643 Christmas Island discovered. Captain William Mynors on the East India Company ship Royal Mary did not stop at the Australian island, which owes its name to the date of its discovery by Europeans. It was not until 44 years later that the first Europeans stepped on the Island. Sparsely populated, the Indian Ocean island is rich in phosphate, which is mined from the guano – bird droppings.
Births On This Day – December 25
- 1984 Alastair Cook – English cricketer
- 1924 Rod Serling – American screenwriter, producer, created The Twilight Zone
- 1899 Humphrey Bogart – American actor
- 1876 Muhammad Ali Jinnah – Indian/Pakistani lawyer, politician, founder of Pakistan
- 1642 Isaac Newton – English physicist, mathematician, astronomer, philosopher, theologian
Deaths On This Day – December 25
- 2006 James Brown – American singer-songwriter, producer, actor
- 1989 Nicolae Ceaușescu – Romanian politician, 11th President of Romania
- 1983 Joan Miró – Spanish painter
- 1977 Charlie Chaplin – English actor, director, producer, screenwriter, composer
- 1963 Tristan Tzara – Romanian/French poet, critic
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
JOIN US @NewRightNetwork on our Telegram, Twitter, Facebook Page and Groups, and other social media for instant news updates!
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now