Today’s History Spotlight
The Battle of the Alamo comes to an end. This battle was the culmination of a 13-day siege by Mexican troops under the command of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. Texan forces were lead by notable figures such as William Travis, David Crockett, and James Bowie. Crockett, who became one of the more legendary figures, was originally a US Representative from Tennessee.
The Texans managed to defend the old Spanish mission site in San Antonio from two waves of Santa Anna’s soldiers. Virtually all Texan combatants were killed and “Remember the Alamo” became a popular rallying cry. Santa Anna was eventually defeated at the Battle of San Jacinto in April 1836. The status of Texas as its own republic came to an end on February 19, 1846, when Texas joined the United States.
What Happened On This Day – March 6
- 1987 193 people die when a ferry capsizes in the North Sea. The Herald of Free Enterprise sank just minutes after leaving the Belgian port of Zeebrugge.
- 1967 Stalin’s daughter defects to the West. The Soviet dictator’s daughter, Svetlana Alliluyeva, caused an international uproar when she approached the United States embassy in New Delhi and later became a naturalized U.S. citizen.
- 1957 Ghana becomes the first African country to gain independence from colonial rule. Ghana emerged as a sovereign state from the former British colonies Gold Coast and Togoland. Kwame Nkrumah was the country’s first leader.
- 1899 The painkiller Asprin is registered as a trademark. Acetylsalicylic acid was first isolated in 1897 by German chemist Felix Hoffmann. Today, the medication is sold by Bayer and is on the World Health Organization’s list of essential medicines.
- 1869 The first periodic table of chemical elements is presented. Dmitri Mendeleev presented the system to the Russian Chemical Society on that day.
Births On This Day – March 6
- 1972 Shaquille O’Neal – American basketball player, actor, rapper
- 1946 David Gilmour – English singer-songwriter, guitarist
- 1936 Marion Barry – American politician, 2nd Mayor of the District of Columbia
- 1926 Alan Greenspan – American economist
- 1475 Michelangelo – Italian painter, sculptor
Deaths On This Day – March 6
- 2007 Jean Baudrillard – French philosopher
- 1986 Georgia O’Keeffe – American painter
- 1982 Ayn Rand – Russian/American author, philosopher
- 1900 Gottlieb Daimler – German engineer, businessman, co-founded Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft
- 1842 Constanze Mozart – German wife of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) Review - November 9, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 13, 1862, The Fugitive Slave Clause is Annulled - March 13, 2022
- Today In History Spotlights Mar. 12, 1947, President Harry Truman Announces the Truman Doctrine - March 12, 2022
New Right Network depends on your support as a patriot-ran American news network. Donate now