This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion
Get The Real News Delivered To Your Inbox
Today’s History Spotlight
President Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first American to win the Nobel Peace Prize. During his presidency, Roosevelt negotiated peace between various nations. He helped solve a trade dispute between the US and Mexico, as well as a conflict between France and Germany over interests in Morocco. Likewise, he prevented a conflict between the US and Japan by sending the Great White Fleet on a trip around the world to showcase US naval power.
Roosevelt won the Nobel Peace Prize, however, for his role in mediating the Russo-Japanese War. This conflict began on February 8, 1904, and ended on September 5, 1905.
What Happened On This Day – December 10
- 2007 Argentina swears in first female elected President. Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner became the first elected female President of Argentina.
- 2001 Release of the first film in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The award winning movie called The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring was directed by Peter Jackson and was based on J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings.
- 1948 U.N. General Assembly adopts Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The document proclaimed, for the first time, fundamental human rights were to be universally protected.
- 1901 First Nobel prize awarded. Five years after the death of Swedish chemist and inventor, Alfred Nobel’s, the first Nobel Prizes were awarded.
- 1817 Mississippi becomes 20th state. Mississippi becomes the 20th state in the United States.
Births On This Day – December 10
- 1956 Rod Blagojevich – American politician, 40th Governor of Illinois
- 1908 Olivier Messiaen – French composer, ornithologist
- 1878 C. Rajagopalachari – Indian lawyer, politician, 1st Governor General of India
- 1830 Emily Dickinson – American poet
- 1815 Ada Lovelace – English mathematician
Deaths On This Day – December 10
- 2006 Augusto Pinochet – Chilean general, politician, 30th President of Chile
- 1999 Franjo Tuđman – Croatian general, politician, 1st President of Croatia
- 1967 Otis Redding – American singer-songwriter, producer
- 1951 Algernon Blackwood – English author
- 1896 Alfred Nobel – Swedish chemist, engineer, invented dynamite, founded the Nobel Prize
The sections “What Happened On This Day,” “Births On This Day,” and “Deaths On This Day” originally appeared at TimeandDate.com and is republished with permission. ©All rights reserved.